Fort Oglethorpe Government Job Description
Job Title: Building Inspector/Zoning Compliance Department: Building, Planning & Zoning
- Job Summary:
This position is responsible for on-site inspections of commercial and residential properties in the city of Fort Oglethorpe including investigation of potential violations and the enforcement of the City of Fort Oglethorpe municipal codes, ordinances and regulations, ensuring that all new construction, alterations to existing structures and installation of mobile homes complies with International Building Codes and Fort Oglethorpe adopted codes and standards.
- Major Duties:
- Responsible for ensuring that all new construction, alterations to existing structures and installation of mobile homes complies with International Building Codes and Fort Oglethorpe adopted codes and standards.
- Investigates complaints of violations of city code, appropriate zoning ordinances, sign regulation and related laws, ordinances or codes; issues violations, citations, correction notices, and stop work orders to ensure compliance; conducts follow-up investigations to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances; presents violation in court as needed.
- Meets with owners, tenants, contractors, developers, businesses, etc., to review and explain zoning code requirement or building code requirement violations and/or potential violations; secure code compliance.
- Operates a city vehicle and conducts daily combination inspections at residential, commercial and industrial construction sites.
- Post public signs for activities including annexation, rezoning, subdivision or property and variances when necessary.
- Prepares written reports of inspections, issue letters as specified by department procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring efficient review of plans and specifications and by ensuring prompt, fair and accurate inspections of work in progress.
- Inspects sediment and stormwater management facilities at commercial, residential and industrial sites.
- Ability to exhibit good judgment and discretion and adhere to guidelines when processing sensitive and/or confidential information.
- Able to efficiently and appropriately, with little supervision, prioritize assignments and complete tasks for department.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Possess knowledge and work experience required to perform the job.
- Ability to deal effectively and efficiently with the general public and other governmental offices.
- Ability to provide positive guidance and direction for department.
- Ability to receive and resolve citizen complaints.
- Skill in verbal and written communication.
- High attention to detail work and accurate follow-through for departmental goals.
- Ability to work efficiently and complete tasks and projects with frequent unscheduled interruptions.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to exhibit judgment and discretion and make independent decisions.
- Ability to work effectively in a teamwork environment.
- Able to work in outdoor environment able to traverse uneven terrains during performance of duties.
- Able to climb, bend, stoop during the performance of inspections.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience in code enforcement or an inspection-related position
- Possesses or ability to obtain within one (1) year of hire ICC, International Property Maintenance
and Housing Inspector
- Possesses or ability to obtain within one (1) year of hire ICC, International Residential Inspector
- Supervisory Responsibility: No
- Supervisor: Department Director
- Hours of job: Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
One hour lunch.
Director – Building/Zoning Dept.
City of Fort Oglethorpe
500 City Hall Drive
Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia 30742
706-866-2544 ext. 1201 (office)