PLEASE POST FOR ALL APPLICANTS TO READ
Macon Bibb County Government
The Director of Business Development Services is responsible for managing and directing the Department of Business Development Services in three separate disciplines: building construction plan review, permitting, and inspections; property maintenance code enforcement; and business licensing.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are representative of the work required for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Serves as the Building Official and works in concert with the Fire Marshal for Macon-Bibb County.
- Plans, organizes, directs, manages, and supervises the permitting, plan review, and inspection of building construction; property maintenance and code enforcement programs, business licensing and occupational tax programs for Macon-Bibb County.
- Establishes goals and objectives for the Department.
- Prepares the annual budget and monitors accounts payables and receivables.
- Maintains the code history, all records and training requirements for maintaining certifications of the Department’s licensing, inspection, code, and plan review staff.
- Monitors and approves payroll and budget expenditures.
- Provides backup for staff as may be required from time to time.
- Recommends revisions and amendments relative to the administrative procedures for Business Development Services Department.
- Makes final decisions on all technical and administrative problems concerning the Department.
- The Director acts as consultant on technical problems arising within other County agencies, providing support as may be required on County-wide projects.
- Consults with architects and engineers in preplanning of projects for construction code compliance.
- Completes special projects and performs other miscellaneous duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
The Director of Business Development Services must be knowledgeable of the following principles, procedures, and concepts:
- Possess a thorough and extensive knowledge of municipal, county, state and federal laws; construction and fire codes; property maintenance and abatement codes; and ordinances relative to planning, developing, constructing, and maintaining code enforcement and business licensing.
- Knowledge of mathematical, scientific, and engineering principles and practices as applied to construction and property maintenance.
- Considerable knowledge of construction and maintenance methods, materials, and equipment as employed in the construction trades.
- Considerable working knowledge of personal computers and database software programs, including the Microsoft Office Suite, the Windows NT network, and other assigned equipment.
- Ability to make and to evaluate constructively, difficult computations, estimates, designs, plans, and specifications.
- Ability to plan, delegate, and review the work of several operational units engaged in inspection activities, permitting, and licensing.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, officials of other governmental jurisdictions, professional architects and engineers, contractors, and with members of the general public.
- Ability to prepare and present highly technical and complex reports and estimates.
- Ability to apply architectural and engineering knowledge to specific administrative and technical problems.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Director of Business Development Services should possess, at a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Technology, or closely related field; a minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible experience as an Architect, Engineer, in Building Code Inspection Enforcement; or as a Superintendent of Construction with a minimum of three (3) years of supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experiences which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
The Director of Business Development Services should possess, at a minimum, 3 years’ experience in management of a diverse, technical group. The Director should display the qualities necessary to lead teams toward separate goals along similar process tracks while maintaining integrity and cohesiveness of purpose.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must possess a valid Georgia Driver’s License.
- Must be accredited as a Certified Building Official by the ICC or obtain such certification within 18 months of employment date.
SUPERVISORY CONTROL AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This Director of Business Development Services has direct supervision over the Business Development Services staff.
The Director of Business Development Services will be required to travel to sites throughout Macon-Bibb County as necessary. Some out-of-state travel is required to participate in Code Hearings and Conferences.
(ADA) MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OR STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Ability to read and understand written materials. Ability to effectively communicate information to supervisors, co-workers, and the general public.
Ability to work with basic mathematical concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in written form in a professional manner in order to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and/or provide service.
Ability to interpret and understand a variety of forms, reports, manuals, regulations, and other means of instruction and guidance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires light-to-medium demands with intermittent sitting, standing, walking, computer use, and occasional lifting of lightweight objects.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Although the work environment is primarily an indoor office work area, aspects of the incumbent’s working conditions may include the following:
- High activity, multiple deadlines, constant interruptions.
- High visibility of behavior.
- Works both in a temperature controlled office environment and outside as required by the job; this may include exposure to inclement weather.
- Exposure to noise, dirt, dust, and machinery with moving parts.
- May be required to work beyond normal hours during inclement weather or other emergency situations.
If you feel you qualify for the above position, you may obtain an application at the Human Resources Office or complete the General Application located at www.maconbibb.us. Applicants who are not selected to fill the position will be notified by mail. Position postings are to remain posted for at least seven (7) working days before the position is filled so that all applicants qualified for the position will have the opportunity to apply.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER